2011 was a year that shaped me more than most. For the first time in my adult life, the next step for me was unclear. After I graduated from grad school I was faced with the dilemma of choosing to remain in Tallahassee, the city I have been in for more than seven years, or take a risk and move to Colorado, the state I loved and have been trying to get to for years. There were two sparks that influenced my decision to remain in Tallahassee:
- The opportunity to work with a great communications firm.
- The need to cultivate personal and professional growth in a location that I was familiar with after a whirl wind called graduate school.
Once the decision to stay in Tallahassee was made, the “what if” scenarios crossed my mind every day: What if I would have moved to Colorado? What if I would have networked with more professionals while I was in grad school? Would that have led to a place that filled me with wonder and adventure?
The combination of the ground swell of regretful questions I was asking myself and the positive growth at the workplace forced me to do a lil’ soul searchin’. I began to realize that I had a lot of growing up to do. I mean, I was mature for my age, but needed to add dimension and texture to my life, beyond running and going to the gym.
The desire to add dimension and texture to my life came to a tipping point during the past nine days. I have had the opportunity to reflect on my thoughts and ideas without day-to-day duties and deadlines. I am lucky to be surrounded by a multi-dimensional and creative family, who reinforce my desire to pave a brighter, less traveled path. Listed below are the major sparks that have been ignited in 2011.
- I will work toward owning my own business (what exactly that is, I don’t know yet).
- I will reduce the amount of overhead I incur to allow for regular travel to different countries.
- I will engage my creative side by painting, writing and photographing.
- I will allow myself time for meditation.
- I will start a blog!!!